Waiting List FAQ (4)
We have an online form that captures the data required to be able to offer places, when they become available. This form can be found:
This data captured within this form is made available to the 23 Groups, and the Explorers units through our Online Scout Manager accounts
The Waiting List process is broken into 4 stages, as explained below:
- Parent is pointed to the MKScouts.org website.
- Parent finds the Waiting list registration form.
- Parent completes the form.
- Form is submitted to Online Scout manager.
- Parent is emailed a copy of their submission.
- Waiting List Team is emailed a copy of the submission.
- Waiting List Admin review submission on the Beavers/Triage Waiting List
- Admin checks for volunteering answers.
- Admin searches for three nearest groups using Find-Us, and the supplied post Code, and a search radius of 3 miles.
- Admin enters the three nearest groups, as the crow flies into the Admin Suggested Group column.
- Admin reviews the age range and transfers the record to the appropriate section Waiting List, or the Express List where the parent has indicated they would like to volunteer and the young person is of current scouting age.
Review & Offer
- The Group Representative reviews the list for members who are in their “catchment”.
- The Rep evaluates the suggestions against their Group Admissions Policy
- The Rep contacts the parent and offers a place, and updates the Group, Section & Offer Date column
- The Rep liaises with the parent throughout the offer, keeping the Group, Section & Offer Date column up to date throughout
- Once the offer is accepted the Rep will share the submission with their OSM instance to enable the parent to easily recieve section communications such as programme & event details
- Once the young member has been invested, the Group, Section & Offer Date column will be updated
- After they have been invested the submission will be transferred to an Invested table, for reporting on how many young people come off the waiting list and into scouting
- After a period of time the Invested table is cleaned up to remove old investitures.
On May 23rd 2017 we reset the waiting list from the Excel spreadsheet that we were using and moved it into Online Scout Manager which has enabled us to have an online form to capture the minimum required data for us to be able to contact parents and offer places, but also give access to the 23 Groups across Milton Keynes to be able to fill their places.
This process also allowed us to filter out those parents whose contact details were no longer accurate.
The Waiting List is not strictly linear, a number of factors will be taken into consideration to ensure that the young person gets a quality time in scouting. Which may mean if your child gets close to the upper age range for their current section, they will be bumped to the next sections waiting list.
For example Johnny has been on the list since he was 4 years old, a place has come up at the nth Milton Keynes, but he is now 7 years and 10 months old. Janey has been on the list since she was 5, and it 5 years 10 months old, it is likely that the place will be offered to Janey over Johnny, because Janey will have more time in Beavers than Johnny will. By the time Johnny has settled in it’ll be time to move him to cubs, and unsettle him again.
Johnny would also have little opportunity to complete his Chief Scouts Bronze Award in the 2 months.
Our preference is to maximise the experience for the young person, over strict linear churn through the waiting list.
The ages at which the Waiting List Administration Team move young people between lists is as follows:
|Waiting List Name||Age Ranges|
|WannaBeavers||0 years – 5 years 10 months|
|Beavers||5 years 10 months – 7 years 9 months|
|Cubs||7 years 9 months – 9 years 9 months|
|Scouts||9 years 9 months – 13 years 6 months|
|Explorers||13 years 6 months – 18 years|
However there may be some local variations as to when they stop offering a section in lieu of the next section.